For the last five years, JetBrains has conducted a Developer Ecosystem Survey to find out the latest trends in the industry regarding tools, technologies, programming languages and various other aspects of programming.
2021 saw the fifth survey take place with 31,743 developers from 183 countries or regions partaking to help understand the developer community.
- Python is more popular than Java with regards to overall usage, while Java is more popular than Python as the main language
- The top five languages that developers are planning to adopt or migrate to are Go, Kotlin, TypeScript, Python and Rust
- Ruby, Objective-C and Scala have all decreased in popularity over the last five years
- The five fastest-growing languages are Python, TypeScript, Kotlin, SQL and Go
- A majority of the participants (71%) develop for web backend
- Windows still leads the majority for the operating system to develop on as well as to mainly target projects with
- Women are more likely than men to be involved in data analysis, machine learning, and UX/UI design or research
- Women are less likely than men to be involved in infrastructure development and DevOps, system administration, or deployment
Read the full report here.